Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Back in the hospital again!

I hate to report this but we are back in the hospital. Cain was re-admitted. I actually started a blog on Monday titled “Wow…what a day” but never had a chance to finish the blog. I’ll go ahead and consolidate the last few days into this blog.

It all started around 11:30pm Sunday evening when we noticed blood in Cain’s diaper. Obviously, we were very worried about this and we were trying to decide if we should take Cain to the ER.We ended up calling the home health group that is currently coming to our house for their advice. We had a follow-up appointment scheduled with Cain’s cardiologist the following morning at 9:00am so the home health nurse suggested we wait for that appointment and not go to the ER, which would expose him to a number of various sick kids.

On Monday morning we went to the cardiologist for Cain’s follow-up appointment and discussed with Dr. Liske the blood we had noticed in Cain’s diapers. Dr. Liske had us change Cain’s formula that we are mixing with breast milk to a soy based formula to rule out any food allergies. During this appointment Cain had a chest x-ray and an EKG and Dr. Liske did inform us that the shunt put in during Cain’s surgery looked and sounded great.

Later in the day when we were finally home from the Dr’s appointment, Cain became VERY irritable and no matter how hard we tried to console him….nothing worked. Up until this point Cain had been a perfect baby with a perfect temperament so we started to feel worried. Cain’s irritability got worse which lead to an extremely long night. He also started having blood in his diaper again and this time it was significantly more than we had seen before. Throughout the evening, his heart rate would continue to spike, reaching as high as 193 beats per minute and his O2 saturation began trending downwards. We continued to monitor him throughout the night consoling him the best that we could and contacted his cardiologist first thing in the morning.

After contacting Cain’s cardiologist they told us to go ahead and bring Cain to their office. When we got to the office they told us to go downstairs for an abdominal x-ray (KUB). Afterwards, we went back upstairs so Dr. Liske could take another look at Cain. And then...before we knew it we were being re-admitted into the hospital again! They decided they want to keep Cain in the hospital a few days for observation. Because of the blood in the stool they wanted to stop his feeds and give him nutrition through an IV and start taking x-rays every few hours to watch for something called necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC). In some cases, cardiac babies will have difficulty getting adequate blood flow to their bowels and this will put additional stress on their digestive system. We were told that if they found he has NEC it can potentially be treated medically; however, if there are any perforations in Cain’s bowel then it will require surgery to repair any holes. So far, the x-rays are not showing signs of perforations so we pray nothing changes.

At one point we did become extremely concerned of Cain getting dehydrated as his continuous feed was discontinued at 8:00a.m. yesterday and it took until almost 4:00 in the afternoon for them to finally get an IV in him. In cardiac babies, specifically ones who have had a BT shunt like Cain, not receiving feeds for > 4 hours becomes a huge concern and potentially fatal. If they become too dehydrated, their shunt could clot sometimes causing unrecoverable consequences. Numerous nurses made attempts to get Cain’s IV line in, but for whatever reason, his veins were not cooperating. At one point they had indicated that they may have to put an IV in his head. Fortunately, they found a highly skilled nurse from the PICCU who was able to start a line on her first try on Cain’s right foot. Cain finally got some fluids in him and we are told by his doctors that his shunt still sounds good.

As of this morning, Cain seems to be feeling a little better and is acting more like himself. The x-ray this morning looks a little better than the one last night. They will continue to keep him hydrated, hold feedings, and observe.


Hitchcock Family said...

I was just about to send you a message when I checked your blog. I'm glad to hear that he seems to be feeling a little better this morning. It is also good to hear that the x-rays are all good! I will pray that this continues. Let me know if you need anything...if not, we will just keep praying for little Cain!

3 "A's" and a "B" said...

I hate that you had to return to the hospital, but glad to know that they are watching him closely. We will be praying for a speedy return home for the little guy. We love you CAIN!!!

The Campbells said...

Hang in there guys, Cain is one tough little guy! You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

Hey Catherine! I will continue to keep Cain in my prayers and hope that he gets to go home again soon. I am so incredibly proud of you and Brad!!! You guys are wonder Cain is such a strong little boy! I miss you & love you my friend- annie orillac.

The Burns Family said...

Oh my, I am so glad he is doing better. That's good that they want to keep an eye on him. I am sure he will be coming home in no time. He is a strong little guy! We will keep you guys in our thoughts and prayers.